The following guide outlines the procedure to submit a request to bring a NEW chemical/material into the nanoFAB. Users are encouraged to refer to the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Repository to see if the chemical they are requesting is already listed there. Only registered nanoFAB users can complete this type of request as it requires access to LMACS.
All chemical import requests must be submitted via LMACS
No chemical may be brought on-site without prior nanoFAB approval. Submission of an import request is not considered authorization - you must wait until your request is explicitly approved before brining any materials onsite.
- Login to LMACS.
- Click the Requests button, found near the top of the page, to navigate to the Submit a New Request page.
- Enter the chemical/material name in the Request Title field. Choose a project in the Select Project from the drop-down menu. The Select Equipment field may be left empty.
- Choose “New Material Import” in the Select Type drop-down menu. The info sidebar will display a list of information that must be included in the Request:
- Material name
- Quantity to be used and stored at the nanoFAB
- How many different SDSs were consulted? If only one, why?
- Is this material a teratogen, mutagen, or carcinogen? If so, provide details.
- What is the LD50 of this material (inhalation, absorption, other) and what was the test animal?
- Are there recommended exposure levels? If so, what are they?
- Are there special handling instructions for this material?
- Does this material evaporate?
- Does this material have a flash point? If so, what is it?
- Please describe your intended usage of this material, including the tool(s) where it will be used.
- Are there other issues with this material that need to be brought to the attention of the nanoFAB staff?
- Upload at least one SDS/MSDS for this material to this request.
- In the Summary field, enter all the information given in the sidebar, then click Create Request.
- Click the Edit Request button.
- Upload at least one SDS/MSDS for the material to the Request, using the Files panel.
- nanoFAB staff will review the import request, ask for additional information if necessary, and communicate whether the request is approved or denied, via comments in the Request.